We've had our eye on making this Eggs Kejriwal recipe with our vegan sourdough English muffins by Tejal Rao from New York Times Cooking for quite some time now, and are so happy that we did!
What is Eggs Kejriwal?
Eggs Kejriwal is a unique and flavorful dish that is believed to have originated in Mumbai, India, and has quickly become a popular breakfast and brunch item in many parts of the world. This dish features a delicious combination of eggs, cheese, and spices, making it a savory and satisfying meal any time of day.
We think that the story behind Eggs Kejriwal is just as intriguing as the dish itself. The name Kejriwal comes from a popular Mumbai social club called Willingdon Club. The club had a strict no-egg policy, but a member named Devi Prasad Kejriwal had a secret way of getting around it. He would bring his own eggs to the club, hide them in the kitchen, and ask the chefs to prepare his favorite dish – cheese toast with fried eggs on top. This dish quickly became known as Eggs Kejriwal, and it has been a popular dish in Mumbai ever since.
The beauty of Eggs Kejriwal is its simplicity and versatility. You can customize the dish to your liking by adjusting the spice level of the chutney or adding additional toppings like sliced tomatoes, onions, or avocado. Additionally, since it's so easy to make, Eggs Kejriwal is a perfect dish to whip up for a quick and satisfying breakfast or brunch.
How to make this Eggs Kejriwal recipe:
To make this Eggs Kejriwal, toast good bread and smear it with mustard, then pile on some grated cheese mixed up with chopped up green chiles, red onion and cilantro leaves. Once the cheese is bubbling under the broiler, just slide on a fried egg.
What you'll need (makes 2 servings):
- 1 tablespoon softened butter
- 2 thick slices Pullman bread (we used our vegan sourdough "Whole Wheat" Dam Good™ English Muffins)
- 2 teaspoons mustard
- 4 ounces Cheddar cheese, grated
- 1 serrano chile, finely sliced
- 2 tablespoons cilantro leaves, washed and chopped
- 1 tablespoon minced red onion
- 2 eggs
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Ketchup (optional)
- Butter the bread on both sides, and lightly brown in a frying pan (use the pan you like most for frying eggs). Smear one side of the toasts with mustard, and transfer to a sheet pan, mustard-side up. Turn on the broiler.
- Mix together the cheese, chile, cilantro and onion, then split the mixture evenly between the toasts. Place under the broiler just until the cheese is melted.
- While the cheese is melting, fry the eggs in the same pan you used to make the toast, until the white edges are crisp, but the yolks are still soft. Gently loosen the eggs from the pan, and slide one on top of each toast. Season with salt and pepper, and serve with ketchup on the side, if you like.
We love how hearty, delicious, and fun to make this recipe is -- it's the perfect addition to our handmade vegan sourdough English muffins! The peek and valley's texture soak up the mustard and cheese, and once the egg is added on top, you'll get the most amazing bite that is crispy on the outside, and chewy on the inside.
Further, to make this Eggs Kejriwal recipe vegan, substitute the cheese for a plant-based cheese option, and the egg for a plant-based egg, and enjoy!