Lately we've been experimenting with more meatless meals and are so excited to share this delicious vegetarian recipe idea with you (make it vegan by using plant-based cheese) -- we were inspired by Katie Smorford's "Oven Baked Vegetarian Tofu Parmigiana" recipe (below)!
Prepared just like chicken Parmesan, this tofu Parmesan will not disappoint -- as shown, we served it on a toasted vegan sourdough "Original White" Dam Good™ English Muffin with a side of salad.
- 14 ounces extra-firm tofu, drained
- 3/4 cup panko-style breadcrumbs, gluten-free, if desired
- ¼ cup finely grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 ½ teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 egg
- 1 ¾ cups marinara sauce, homemade or bottled
- 1 cup lightly packed shredded Mozzarella cheese
- Preheat oven to 425F.
- Lay a dish towel or several paper towels on your work surface. Cut the tofu into 8 slabs that are about ½-inch thick (like small playing cards). Lay the tofu on the towel and cover with another towel to absorb the moisture.
- Use a fork to stir together the panko, Parmesan, Italian seasoning, and garlic powder on a medium plate or shallow dish.
- Crack the egg into a medium bowl and whisk well.
- Dunk a tofu slab into the egg mixture and coat generously on all sides with the panko. Lay on a large baking sheet. Repeat with the remaining tofu. Bake until crispy and beginning to brown, particularly along the bottom, 30 minutes.
- Spread ⅓ cup marinara sauce along the bottom of a baking pan large enough to accommodate the tofu in one layer (7- by 11-inches or thereabouts). Nestle the tofu in the pan. Pour the remaining marinara sauce over the tofu and smooth with a spooth. Scatter the Mozzarella on top.
- Bake until the cheese melts and begins to brown, 20 minutes. Cut into squares and serve warm.
- Toast up your favorite sourdough Dam Good English Muffin variety, place a square of tofu parmesan, on top, and enjoy!