In honor of National Cheese Lovers day, we whipped up Ali Slagle's "Cheesy White Bean-Tomato Bake" recipe from New York Times Cooking with a side of our toasted vegan sourdough "Original White" English muffins!
"For those of you who love lasagna's edges, where sticky tomato meets crisp cheese, this whole dish is for you — even the middle!" - Ali Slagle
View this post on Instagram
Cheesy White Bean Tomato Bake Recipe:
- ¼ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 fat garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 (15-ounce) cans white beans (such as cannellini or Great Northern) or chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- ½ cup boiling water
- Kosher salt and black pepper
- ⅓ pound mozzarella, coarsely grated (about 1 1/3 cups)
- First, heat the oven to 475 degrees. In a 10-inch ovenproof skillet, heat the olive oil over medium-high heat. Fry the garlic until it's lightly golden, about 1 minute. Then, stir in the tomato paste (be careful of splattering) and fry for 30 seconds, reducing the heat as needed to prevent the garlic from burning.
- Further, add the beans, water and generous pinches of salt and pepper and stir to combine. Sprinkle the cheese evenly over the top, then bake until the cheese has melted and browned in spots, 5 to 10 minutes. If the top is not as toasted as you’d like, run the skillet under the broiler for a minute or 2. Lastly, serve at once."
We really enjoyed this cheesy White Bean Tomato Bake because not only was it delicious, but it came together really quickly, with minimal ingredients and paired so well with our gourmet English muffins. Additionally, it reminded us of similar recipes we've made in the past like:
- Cheesy beans on toast recipe
- Cheesy bean dip recipe
- Bean and cheese dip recipe