To make this ‘Pumpkin French Toast with Whipped Pumpkin Butter’ recipe by Natalie, from Life Made Simple, first grab a bag of your favorite sourdough Dam Good™ English Muffin variety (we used Vegan ‘Cinnamon Swirl’)!
- 4 eggs
- 2/3 cup milk - (whole, low-fat or skim)
- 1/2 cup pumpkin puree
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp pumpkin pie spice
- 12 slices Texas toast - OR french bread, OR challah, OR croissant halves
WHIPPED PUMPKIN BUTTER
- 1/2 cup salted or unsalted butter - ( 1 stick), room temperature
- 1/3 cup pumpkin puree
- 3 tbsp maple syrup - or honey
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp pumpkin pie spice
- Set a large non-stick skillet set over medium heat, add a small amount of butter and melt.
- In a rectangular baking dish, whisk together the eggs, milk, pumpkin puree, vanilla, cinnamon and pumpkin pie spice.
- Dip the bread into the mixture, flip sides and then place on the hot skillet. Cook until each side is golden brown, about 2-3 minutes on each side. Repeat with remaining ingredients, serve hot with whipped pumpkin butter, maple syrup and toasted chopped nuts (if desired).
- To make the pumpkin butter, in a small mixing bowl, add the softened butter and beat with a hand mixer for 2 minutes or until light and fluffy. Add the pumpkin puree, maple syrup or honey, vanilla, cinnamon and pumpkin pie spice. Beat for an additional minute or until fluffy. Store in an air-tight container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
- I've made the whipped pumpkin butter with both honey and maple syrup. I prefer maple syrup when using it on pancakes, waffles and french toast, and honey when using it on rolls. Feel free to use whichever you prefer!-If you like your french toast on the sweeter side, add 1 tbsp. of brown sugar to the mixture."