With some deliciously fresh cod (from one of our retailer partners, Mt. Kisco Seafood), we whipped up these homemade fish sticks (fish fingers) and served them on our vegan sourdough "Multigrain" English muffin variety to make crispy fish stick sandwiches!
While you may be used to buying frozen fish sticks at the grocery store, they are SO easy to make at home, with minimal ingredients.
Although for this, fish stick sandwich recipe we deep fried our homemade cod fish sticks in olive oil, to make crispy fried fish sticks, you can also bake them in the oven for baked fish sticks, or pop the fish sticks in an air fryer for air fryer fish sticks! So, what're you waiting for? Try this English muffin recipe!
View this post on Instagram
Fish Stick Sandwich Recipe:
Fish Stick Ingredients:
- 2 fillets of white fish (we used cod, to make cod fish sticks)
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons of milk
- 1/4 cup of AP flour
- 1/3 cup of Italian breadcrumbs
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt
- 1/4 teaspoon of pepper
- Oil of your choice for frying (olive oil, vegetable oil, etc.)
Ingredients for the Fish Stick Sandwich:
- Vegan sourdough English muffins (we used our "Multigrain" Dam Good English Muffin variety)
- Tomato, sliced
- Shredded iceberg lettuce, to taste
- Mix of 1 tablespoon of mayonnaise (we used Hellmans Mayonnaise) and 1/2 tablespoon of hot sauce (we used Franks Red Hot)
Frying Fish Sticks for a Fish Stick Sandwich:
- Slice fish fillets into 1/2 inch wide pieces
- Bread fish sticks: in a bowl, whisk together egg and milk; in another bowl, add flour. In another bowl, combine Italian breadcrumbs, salt, pepper, and garlic powder. Bread each fish stick by first dipping it into the flour, then the egg and milk mixture, and lastly, the breadcrumbs. Further, make sure to fully coat all sides in each mixture.
- Then, fry fish sticks by heating up your choice of oil in a pan. Fry each fish stick on all 4 sides until they become crispy. Once the fish sticks are fried to your liking, remove them from the pan and place them on a paper towel lined plate.
Assembling the Crispy Fish Stick Sandwich:
- Toast gourmet English muffins
- Spread mayonnaise and hot sauce mixture on the bottom half of the sourdough English muffins
- Layer the homemade fish sticks, lettuce and tomato, and enjoy!
One of the best parts about having leftover homemade fish sticks is that they store really well in the freezer and make for an easy, quick meal when you're in a pinch, or another fish stick sandwich! To reheat, you can put the frozen fish sticks in an air fryer, in the oven, or reheat them on a pan.
You can also use this same recipe to make other types of fish stick recipes like: haddock fish sticks, beer battered fish sticks, halibut fish sticks, salmon fish sticks, catfish sticks, etc.